Monday, March 2, 2009

Day 40 - Still at LGH

Adele is getting tired of being in a hospital and I agree.

The doctors have decided on what antibiotic to use, and it happens to be the same one they have been using all along. They continue to take blood for cultures, to see if the staph infection is gone. They plan on insetting a PIC line, which would allow her to be at home and have home nursing come to do the IV of antibiotic. I think it will be 10 days of IV 2 times a day, at least that is how they are doing it now. The PIC line will not be inserted until all the staph infection is gone, so she remains at LGH until it is out of her.

Her platelets have come up, but then again she got a bag of platelets on Sunday morning before the surgeon removed her hickman port. White counts are dropping, but again her body is fighting the infection.

Tom & Shannon are visiting tonight, I am not sure if I will even get a chance to see her tomorrow, so much to fix in Lebanon.

She canceled the blood work appointment tomorrow, and the Wednesday scheduled rituxan will be put off until Friday or later. So - everything is in a state of ever changing flux and we thought that we were at a point of getting into a routine. Hard to be jerked out of that hope of normalcy, just to be pulled back into the "What are they going to do to her today" mode.

She and I are both taking this much harder than we should, but I do believe that she will be home for the weekend.

Pray for peace and strength for us both.

Thanks, a mentally exhausted - Rick

1 comment:

  1. It's so hard to stay afloat in shifting waters! For what it's worth, I will share one thing that finally helped me to move forward. That was looking for the "blessings" in my life each and every day...sometimes I have to break it down to hourly! As bad as it sometimes seems, once I started looking for the blessings (I talked to mayself alot at first!) it became easier and easier and peace followed. They don't have to be big blessings. For example, today, when the snow stopped for a time and the sun came out bright and blinding, I thanked the Lord for that light! Know that you are loved hugely and watched over always, even when darkness clouds around you.

    Blessings,
    Molly

    ReplyDelete