Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Day 13 - In the apartment

OK - today was a very full and eventful day. I got to JH, Weinberg building, around 9:30 this morning. Adele and I talked about what we would be doing next, I helped with her shower and other morning stuff. Then I got busy sorting and packing everything and transporting it to the car. Now we were on the 5th floor, with 2 of 3 elevators inoperable. First the wait for an elevator took 3-4 times as long as normal, then I also had to descend, using another elevator, to L3 underground. Or 8 floors and 2 elevator trips for each load. 3 loads later, and about 2 1/2 hours, I had most of the things from the room, in the car - or so I thought. I had forgotten her quilt, wool throw and sitz bath. One more trip later, I was ready to roll. Then we needed to wait for lunch, and discharge papers and instructions. We finally left the room (5B-03, Weinberg Building) with Adele in a wheelchair and drove the car to the apartments. Almost 1 block from door to door.

I moved everything into the apartment, even if I thought we did not need it, and unpacked the suitcases and some of the other bags. Adele took a nap and I went searching for food. When we checked in, we found out that the apartment now supplies food on Wed nights, and sometimes other nights. Tonight was one of those other nights, and they had a chicken pot pie and green beans with french onion. I also grabbed a Canada Dry soda and some silverware. Adele and I had a good meal from this. Tomorrow they are serving pizza for the residents. There are 4 nurses doing this for us, we do appreciate everything these people are doing.

I also got to go back to Weinberg and the pharmacy for the prescriptions pickup at 4 PM. Then I was able to snatch a wheelchair for us to use day to day. I will make Adele use it until she is better on her feet and not so weak.

Adele will need to go to IPOP at 10 AM for the next ?? 2 - 3 weeks ?? and then she will be released to her oncologist back home. We are so happy to be at this point. The worst is behind us, and we are being very careful about germs, so it stays behind us. I am hearing from many people, that their wife or husband is back in the hospital because of infection. We do not want that to happen, but if it does we at least have done everything possible to guard against it.

Thank you Lord for being with us every day.

Rick & Adele

3 comments:

  1. We're so glad that you are in the apartment. It sounds like everyone both at the hospital and at the apartment are really nice and helpful.
    Hope you folks have a good night sleep. It's a new beginning.
    I'll talk to you soon.
    God has sure answered our prayers both both of you.
    Love Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good news. Hopefully you two can resume some sort of normalcy. Sounds like a nice apartment and that's great that they serve some meals! You're in all of our thoughts.

    Kim & the PBCC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - just checking that you got my email to your ptd account about coming down - I'll talk to Adele more about it tonight when I call. Enjoy that apartment!

    ReplyDelete